Open Work Permit

A foreign national may be eligible for an Open Work Permit in the following situation:

Post Graduate Work Permit: 

After completion of the study, Students can apply for post-graduate work permits and Applicants can receive only 1 post-graduation work permit in their lifetime.


  • Must have valid temporary status or have left Canada
  • Completion of an academic, vocational, or professional training program at an eligible institution in Canada for at least 8 months in duration leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  • Full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program except last semester
  • Transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming the completion of the program of Study

Spousal Work Permit

A spousal open work permit enables spouse of permanent resident, Canadian Citizen, foreign worker, international student, holder of bridging open work permit to work for any employer in Canada, fulfilling other eligibility requirements.

You are also eligible for an open work permit if you are a Destitute Student, have applied for permanent residence in Canada, and are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member, under an unenforceable removal order, a temporary resident permit holder, and a young worker participating in a special program.

Note: In each of these situations, you must meet additional criteria to be eligible.

Employer Specific Work Permit

An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include:

  • the name of the employer you can work for
  • how long you can work
  • the location where you can work (if applicable)

Employers also need to meet basic requirements to hire you. They need a Labour Market Impact Assessment or LMIA that enables Canadian employers to hire Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW). LMIA serves as evidence of the non-availability of Canadian citizens or permanent residents for a specific job that results in raising the opportunities for international employees.

Work Without Work Permit

Although it is important to have a valid work permit for foreign nationals to work in Canada. However, there are certain circumstances where a foreign national is exempted from having a Canadian Work Permit and still can engage in employment in Canada.

  • Athlete and team members
  • Aviation Accident or Incident Inspector
  • Business Visitor
  • Civil Aviation Inspector
  • Convention Organizers
  • Crew
  • Emergency Service Providers
  • Examiners and Evaluators
  • Expert Witnesses or Investigators
  • Family Member of Foreign Representative
  • Foreign Government Officer 
  • Health Care Students
  • Implied Status
  • Judges, referees, or similar officials
  •  Military Personnel
  • News Reporters, media crews
  • On-Campus Employment
  • Performing Artists
  • Public Speakers
  •  Religious Leaders
  • Registered Indians
  • The short-term work permit exemption
  • 120-day work permit exemption for researchers
  • Off-campus Work
  • Off-Campus Work (transition to post-graduate status)

Note: In each of these situations, you must meet additional criteria to be eligible.

International Experience Canada Program

A foreign national may be eligible for an International Experience Canada in the following cases:

  • Your country or territory of citizenship must have an agreement with Canada that allows you to apply for an IEC work permit or you may be able to use a recognized organization (RO)
  • You must also meet the eligibility requirements for your country or territory of citizenship and the pool you’re applying for.

Some countries only allow you to participate once. Others allow you to participate twice but in different pools. Because each country is different, you must check to see if you’re eligible to apply. Even if you’re invited to apply, you can’t participate more times than your country allows. Make sure you read and understand all the requirements before you apply.

Contact us on +1 (778) 834-8160 or drop a message on